[ubuntu-web] light-moin-theme and the wiki in general

Alan Bell alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com
Mon Oct 4 16:43:57 BST 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 10:03 -0500, Matthew Nuzum wrote:

> I am not convinced that we need a fluid theme for the wiki. I think
> content should be less than 960 px wide and I am ok if some pages with
> very wide content appear sub-par. Think of this, if the content is
> very wide and we use a fluid theme, the search box would be pushed off
> the screen. A fixed width theme can be built that allows wide content
> to show in a readable manner and I'd prefer to take this route. From
> my stats I see that a vast vast majority of devices accessing the wiki
> are capable of viewing a 960px wide website (99.4% of non-mobile
> devices). Therefore I don't feel a strong sense of urgency to optimize
> the site for smaller screens.

At the moment if I have my browser 752 px wide with an empty page in it
I can't see the search box and I get a horizontal scroll bar. If it is
fluid width it will reflow the content to fit the browser width I choose
to have. Sometimes I will maximise a wiki page on my 2048x1152 monitor,
sometimes I will have a narrow browser page with a meeting agenda in it
and an IRC window alongside. It is totally possible to have a fluid
width layout, and I am totally happy to take the existing layout and
fluidise it.

> I will be asking for help next week with the new community theme guidelines.
great, count me in

--
Alan Bell
The Open Learning Centre

Web: http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com

Mob: +44 (0)7738 789195
Tel: +44 (0)844 3576000

The Open Learning Centre is a trading name of Bell Lord Ltd,
a company registered in England and Wales #05868943.
VAT Registration #GB 901 4715 55