[ubuntu-web] Accessibility

Alan Bell alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com
Mon Nov 29 08:42:07 GMT 2010

I am coming to a better understanding of the issues with the various web
properties now.

The design guidelines for the web seem to be the authoritative document
http://design.canonical.com/brand/D.%20Ubuntu%20Web%20Guidelines.pdf ,
and not the brand guidelines
http://design.canonical.com/the-toolkit/ubuntu-brand-guidelines/ and the
web guidelines make no mention of accessibility whatsoever and have a
lot of the main issues baked in like the teeny 12px font size and
grey-on-grey text and even the low contrast and orange on grey of pages
like http://www.ubuntu.com/server/features/reduce-costs plus the 960.gs
stuff that means the websites get 500px margins on my monitor and they
overflow smaller screens if you scale up the font size. What I didn't
know up to this weekend was that website design is nothing to do with
the website team which is why I have been filing bugs, fixing them,
offering merges and then hitting the "patches not welcome" problems.

I would like to revist the discussion around bug 671122

Launchpad bug 671122 in ubuntu-website "install an accessible wiki theme
(affects: 1) (heat: 10)" [Undecided,Confirmed]
https://launchpad.net/bugs/671122

The proposal here was to install the SimpleMente theme as an optional
theme that users could choose in their preferences, this has a fluid
width, access keys and generally a structure that is designed to be good
for screen readers
http://moinmo.in/ThemeMarket/SimpleMente

If we can get a theme installed with accessible features I can then make
it follow the Ubuntu brand guidelines (but not the web guidelines) or if
we can get agreement that if I do the branding work on it then it will
get installed then that would be OK.

I don't think there is any way to fix the current theme whilst staying
within the scope of the web guidelines.

Alan.

--
Alan Bell
The Open Learning Centre

Web:http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com

Mob: +44 (0)7738 789190
Tel: +44 (0)844 3576000

The Open Learning Centre is a trading name of Bell Lord Ltd,
a company registered in England and Wales #05868943.
VAT Registration #GB 901 4715 55