[ubuntu-web] bug in website

Alan Bell alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com
Sun Nov 14 10:30:35 GMT 2010

I would like to draw a bit of a distinction between the printing issue
(I agree websites should be printable, I just can't reproduce the
problem, works OK on my printer) and the general on screen issue with
the tiny fonts and lowered contrast. The printing issue isn't
universally reproduced and we don't yet understand the cause of it,
further investigations are required on that one.

There is a more specific bug relating to the low contrast text (The main
content text is #333333 on a #F7F7F7 background) here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-website/+bug/654643
it was reported against the wiki design, but really applies across more
sites using the similar theme, including amongst others all sites based
on light-wordpress-theme.

I am working on a wordpress based redesign for our loco
http://beta.ubuntu-uk.org/ and I changed the theme a bit to increase the
size of the body text and the contrast until it was readable to various
low vision users, I also made the theme fluid so that the layout works
regardless of your preferred window size and text size.

I also worked on the light-moin-theme code at
http://libertus.co.uk:8080/ following the design guidelines as closely as
possible without compromising readability and testing it against key
pages of content from the wiki such as the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter.

here are the various changes I have proposed
https://code.launchpad.net/~alanbell/ubuntu-website/light-moin-theme
<https://code.launchpad.net/%7Ealanbell/ubuntu-website/light-moin-theme>

and sometimes you can see it running on my laptop at
http://libertus.co.uk:8080 unless of course I wonder off with the laptop.

At the moment the font sizes are specified in px which just seems wrong
to me. I think the base body text size should be specified in points and
then all the other sizes should be expressed as a percentage relative to
this. I don't see how font sizes in px should ever print at a
predictable size. I am quite happy to do the work for this, however
there is no point in me doing this again if it won't get merged in due
to a conflict with the design guidelines.

Worth pointing out that we are not talking about making it readable for
just people who have severe vision problems, but making it readable on
lots of devices with variable screen quality and for people who have
mildly impaired vision who wear glasses and might take a large print
book out from the library in preference to the small print version.

Alan.

--

Alan Bell
The Open Learning Centre

Web: http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com

Mob: +44 (0)7738 789190
Tel: +44 (0)844 3576000

The Open Learning Centre is a trading name of Bell Lord Ltd,
a company registered in England and Wales #05868943.
VAT Registration #GB 901 4715 55