[ubuntu-web] Banner for Ubuntu 9.10

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Sun Mar 1 21:03:03 GMT 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Stéphane <stephane.vergeylen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Stéphane Vergeylen and I just join this mailing-list. I heard
> about your wish to make a dynamic banner in place of creating 30 images for
> Ubuntu 9.04.
>
> I've already made one (see
> http://www.vergeylen.eu/old/principal.php?pg=ubuntulogo ) since one year to
> warn the poeple surfing on my website about the next release of Ubuntu.
>
> It is in Javascript and the text and number of days are thus dynamic. I
> think that one background image with dynamic text is a lot better than
> computing 30 image, because of the time you save to update it. Even more,
> it's also very easy to change the text when Ubuntu is released and it is
> possible to display text in the language of the website if needed (I'm
> thiniking about a simple parameter to choose one language in a list...)
>
> Is anybody interrested about this javascript banner ? Maybe I can adapt the
> design to a 180px * 150px and translated in English if somebody is
> interrested. Everything is working on my website so do not hesitate to view
> the (really simple) code....

Hi Stéphane, I am interested in your concept. I agree with your
points. In order for something like this to be syndicated it would
need to be embedded in an iframe. I'd also like to ensure that it has
been tested well across platforms to ensure the fonts look OK.

If you are mostly interested in the JS aspect of it then please get
help from one of the graphics artists on this list. I realize that
some people (me included) would love to focus on the code and others
would rather just do graphics.

As an option, with png alpha transparency you can accomplish some very
clever designs using layered graphics.

If you're up for it, I'd definitely love to see you pursue this idea.

Also, you're not properly subscribed to this list Stéphane. I've set a
filter that allows you to post but yon won't get replies unless you
subscribe. Ensure that youv'e subscribed to the mailing list with the
address I'm replying to.

--
Matthew Nuzum