[ubuntu-web] Project plan: Localizing ubuntu.com

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Thu Jun 11 23:07:54 BST 2009

Hello, based on our discussion during the Web Team meeting, this is
how we'll move forward with the localizing of Ubuntu.com:

There will be two projects
   a: Technical aspect - figuring out how best to show decide if the
user likes a language other than English, showing them a message in
that language, facilitating translators to create localized resources
   b: Translation - collaborating with the translation community
   c: (Bonus project) Presenting localized options - how do we guide
people to the right location? We didn't discuss this as a separate
task during the meeting but as I'm writing this list I realized it
does require a distinct set of skills.

I will begin by contacting a few people in the translation community
and possibly loco teams and scheduling a formal meeting for this
aspect of the project. I'll make sure to include the web presence team
in this part but I'm going to take a wild guess that most of us here
are more interested in the technical and presentation aspects.

Here are some concerns and ideas proposed:

We will show people a link in a prominent place in the browser window
that says in the user's preferred language something like, "Resources
in your language."

We will not use a flag

We don't want to confuse the user into thinking that it will be a
translated version of the current page

We won't redirect the user to alternate content automatically. They
can use the English site like normal and the localized content will be
available to them if they prefer it.

Two alternate ideas were proposed for what users see when taken to the
page of localized resources. The classic example was to have one page
per language and jumping directly to that page when you clicked the
link. For languages where there are multiple loco teams providing
resources then some how segmenting the page so that people can decide
how to find the best information.

A second idea brought up during the meeting was to model the page
people see after clicking the link to something like
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html where there would be a
minimal amount of English introductory text followed by a list of
localized resources, one per team, with the most applicable one for
the current user being listed first.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. If you've done localization work for
the web before we could greatly benefit from your experience. Please

If you're interested in working on this you may want to read through
the meeting transcript at
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2009/06/11/%23ubuntu-website.html from about
21:07 until 21:40.
--