[ubuntu-web] Introduction & a question

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Jan 20 15:00:22 GMT 2009

(note that Andrew's message got caught in the mailing list queue
because he wasn't subscribed correctly - sorry for the delay in
getting it here. Andrew, check to ensure you're subscribed properly
but I've set a filter so that your rugby471@ address is white listed
and future messages will not be held for moderation)

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Andrew <rugby471 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Thanks for that Matthew, I read the IRC logs and hopefully, my idea doesn't clash too much with
> everyone's thinking :-)
>
> Before I start, if I say anything below about the existing page that offends you in any way, please
> don't take it personally, I never intended for it :-)
>
> Right, well first of all I would like to say that the 8.10 page is a great step up form the
> previous one, it is very simple and I like it a lot, however there are some things I think can be
> improved.
>
> From when I started using Firefox, I always liked the default homepage for it (to see what
> I am talking about go to google.com/firefox). It was very simple, looked great and focused you on
> the things that the user wanted the most (search). It also had links along the top that pointed you
> to popular points of interest.
>
> Now while I do like the current start page for Intrepid, I think we could learn some things from
> the Firefox homepage mentioned above:
>
> * Having the links separated from the search form is best, as it clearly lines the page out for the
> user, from the first time they see it. The separation also means we don't have a restricted no. of
> links, as it spans the whole page.
>
> * I feel also that the Firefox page feels more like a whole document, with content at the start and
> the finish, whereas the fact that the Ubuntu one has all the content concentrated into the center,
> just makes the page look slightly incomplete. Widgets at the bottom, which were discussed in the
> IRC log, will also add to a more complete look, these are included on the Firefox Page
>
> * The Firefox page's top bar is light and the gradient on it is not too contrasting, so not
> distracting from what the user should be focused on, the search form form the rest of the page. The
> Ubuntu page's bar is too dark and the colors are too different.
>
> * The text on the bar of the Firefox page is white, so nice and visible, but also has a shadow under
> it, so you can clearly see the word. On the Ubuntu page, the white becomes lost as it ventures
> towards the bottom of the bar and so is quite hard to read.
>
> * The SVG capabilities you described in the previous message cannot be achived with some of the
>  graphics used on the current start page (ie. the photo)
>
> Right! So I tried to correct all the things I mentioned above and so I created a start page (it is
> real, not a mockup) based on the Firefox start page and it is situated on the Wiki, (along with
> my comments from above) -
>
> http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Website/JauntyStartPage
>
> Thanks for reading and Any Comments?
>

> --