[ubuntu-web] Introduction & a question

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Mon Jan 5 21:55:33 GMT 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Andrew <rugby471 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Andrew, I am from the UK

Hi Andrew, welcome!

> Right , now the formalities are over I have a question. For Jaunty Jackalope (yes I know this is
> still a bit early) was there plans to change the Ubuntu start page, (as has been done in every
> release so far)?
>
> The reason for the question is that I had some ideas for the start page, but I just
> wanted to check first, whether I would be discussing something that had already been finalized.

Please share your feedback, we're eager to hear it.

I don't want to let background information spoil your creativity so
share away, but at some point see our 8.10 planning meeting at
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2008/07/22/%23ubuntu-website.html
specifically starting at 21:47. There we discuss some of the reasoning
behind how we got to where we are currently.

I'm pretty certain with 9.04 we'll migrate to a single start page for
all future versions. So instead of start.ubuntu.com/[version]/ it will
just be http://start.ubuntu.com for akk future versions. This is not
my decision but I really don't have a good reason to do it one way or
the other.

Other than the URL the only other planned change is to get better at
translating it.

I believe Jaunty is supposed to have FF 3.1 installed. If that is true
then I would not be opposed to exploiting some of the more interesting
features there. (SVG and typography come to mind)

--
Matthew Nuzum