[ubuntu-web] Start page status

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Fri Oct 31 21:26:43 GMT 2008

Hi Team, we just had a release and I wanted to tell you about the
start page. As I predicted, all happened at the last possible moment.
We've given in to the suggestions by Google et al to keep the page
extremely simple. The lady in charge of the corporate identity asked
the design firm to create a very very simple banner for the page that
matches the artwork that will be on the CD cases. The initial feedback
has been very good and I expect we'll continue with the simple layout
for the next release.

Mads, even though we didn't end up using your design I don't want you
to think for a moment that your work went unused. Your mockups were
quite useful in helping to decide how to proceed. Yes, it looks
different than your drawing but what you did helped us mentally adjust
to having far less text than we'd been comfortable with previously.
(For the record, Google and Mozilla were after us with the first
release telling us we had way too much content on that page)

Thank you Mads, Lizzeh and the others who helped with the design.
Volans, thank you for helping geting the translation work started, it
wouldn't be up there without you.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode