[ubuntu-web] Start page - lets go

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Wed Oct 1 15:15:41 BST 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 4:36 AM, François Tissandier
<francois.tissandier at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi guys!

Idea #2

>> http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/175241/ny-ide2.jpg
>

> All of them looks nice, except the margins on idea 2 and 3 don't seem to
> be homogeneous, so it's not really "breathing" too well for me,
> especially when we have still have plenty of room at the bottom on the
> big majority of current screens.
>
> By margins I mean:
>
> distance between bottom of "ubuntu" and the line
> distance between the line and the top of the search box
> distance between the bottom of the search box and the top of the text
> distance between the bottom of the text and the line
> distance between the line and the top of the coloured box

Good work Mads! That's the one we want. Francois' comments are good,
definitely use the alignment tool to get things positioned right
before we start slicing but since we're just being rough to get the
idea what you've done is great.

 * Lets replace the grey with #d9bb7a (or a lighter shade if needed)
to make it more human.

 * 8.10 should not be a superscript, put it on the same line and
weight as Ubuntu

* Instead of the ubuntu logo faded into the (currently) grey
background, let's use an intrepid swirl (attached). Make sure it's
very soft and subtle. You may want to drop out all the color in the
swirl and make it white filled and something like 20% opaque so that
it's more of a watermark.

Two notes:

 * we'll try to come up with a new t-shirt closer to "go live" date.
There will be a limited edition t-shirt again so hopefully once the
design is finalized and we get a shot of it on a model we can drop
that in to replace the heron shirt you're using. Stick with what we
have for now though.

 * the "corporate identity" people are going back and forth between
the version with the (currently) grey background and the version with
a plain white background.

It's shaping up nicely, you're doing great work Mads. I can't wait to
see it finish up!

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode