[ubuntu-web] Website - Download map.

Shashank Chintalagiri shashank.chintalagiri at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 06:41:27 BST 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Oli Warner <oli at thepcspy.com> wrote:

> <snip>

> How about we just pop up a map with an x-y image-map bound to it. Once
> they click and we have the x-y coordinates, it's simple (if we have the
> relative x-y of download locations) to do a bit of pythag and find the
> geographically closest server. But also give them the option of changing
> the location, if they know they're actually closer to somewhere else.
> </snip>

I guess you folks already know this, but direct GeoIP information doesnt
directly correlate to the shortest electronic / network path, thanks to some
wonder ISP configurations. In India, for example, requests from one of the
major private sector ISPs to another (I think it was Airtel and Reliance,
but I could be wrong with the names... Its been a while since I found out)
make a hop through the US, making it a
double-trip-to-the-other-side-of-the-world. I dont know any ways that are
not time or cpu intensive that can sort out these things, but I thought I'd
just mention it.

Chintalagiri Shashank
Junior Undergraduate
Department of Physics