[ubuntu-web] The Next Steps

Gerry Carr gerry.carr at canonical.com
Fri Jul 4 12:45:00 BST 2008

Hi all,

Wow - a lot of activity already.

I am reading with interest the suggestion on the main site and I hope to
incorporate these at some point. But to get there we are going to need
credibility and credibility requires deliverables.

Matt has outlined in the wiki  projects that are all atomic, discrete
and doable in the short term. If at 8.10 we can deliver to the community
the countdown(s), the banners, tour and start page that are terrific
then the credibility of the group as one that can deliver will be
manifest. It will then be a lot easier to 'sell' more fundamental
changes to the site and structure within Canonical. These are real
projects, with real delivery dates that must be met and have true impact
on the success of releases. Let's do them.

It is a distraction of focus try and 'fix ubuntu.com' and I don't want
people to spend time on projects I cannot or will not implement. If you
think you cannot participate without fundamentally changing the
architecture of ubuntu.com, well I'm sorry this is not what this project
is about right now.

So what would be wonderful is if people can adopt a project, organise
teams to deliver them, set milestones and start rocking.

Thanks

Gerry