[ubuntu-web] Ubuntu Wanted Site(blueprint)

Sense Hofstede sense at qense.nl
Thu Aug 7 13:03:55 BST 2008

Nicolas Deschildre schreef:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 8:27 PM, Mads Rosendahl <madsrh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi again
>> I've done a mockup of the "help wanted" site.
>
> Great again!
>
>> On the front page you can also go to the "HELP OFFERED" site. I have
>> NO IDEA what this site should contain.
>
> And this is the first step we will need to do.
> 1/ Defining a much more refined set of requirements.
> 2/ Create the interface : here Mads & Brett you skills will be welcome!
> 3/ Start the coding: a part for you Brian!
> I'll give a try on the list of requirements in another mail.
>
> Now, since I don't want this project to die as another "let's do it"
> fireworks, I took the initiative to create a Ubuntu Wanted Developers
> team (https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wanted-dev), which has commit
> rights over a bazaar branch
> https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wanted-dev/ubuntu-wanted/devel
> (project Ubuntu Wanted).
> Anyone wanting to participate, please apply to this team. I'll give
> the admin rights to whoever want it.
> Then you should be able to use and commit on the
> https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wanted-dev/ubuntu-wanted/devel
> bazaar branch.
>
> Next, I have setup an automatic installation of the branch in my
> webserver here : http://ubuntu-wanted-devel.ideatorrent.org/
> That means that whatever you commit in the bazaar branch will be shown
> on this webserver, updated every hour!
>
> I make the Ubuntu wanted website a Drupal 5 module. Why Drupal 5?
> Because for the moment, the launchpad plugin for authentification is
> not working on Drupal 6 (I'm not using it at the moment). And the
> Drupal5->6 migration is quite easy.
> Another argument is that this is the only Canonical security approved
> CMS (if ever one day this website enter the datacenter).
> The database choice is on the same lines : Postgresql is the database
> used on the datacenter.
>
> Now, to the branch organization:
> artwork/ubuntu-theme/ : contains the Ubuntu theme we will use. I took
> the one from Brainstorm, but it is now really clean without brainstorm
> :) I'll try to find the real clean one.
> module/wanted/ : contains the Drupal Wanted module.
> update-db.sql : As described on the file :
> -- Here put SQL commands that will be automatically executed after a
> new version of the code have been downloaded.
> -- Here is what you need to do.
> -- 1/ Drop all possible existing tables you inserted in the last
> install (generally it's a copy of uninstall commands found in
> wanted.install)
> -- 2/ Create all the tables you need (generally it's a copy of
> commands found in wanted.install)
> -- 3/ Add any sample data you find useful.
>
> That's it. I'm hoping this will help to kickstart this project.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Nicolas
>
>> //MadsRH
>> madsrh(a)gmail.com
>>
>> --

Thank you for doing all this work! I think it would be good to create a
wiki page where all this information is stored.
I think it would be smart to work first just on the help needed part,
since the help offered part needs quite some discussion. Maybe it would
be smart to create a separate blueprint for that.

Another point in the discussion: my role. I was a bit late with
replying, my excuses for that. Nicolas did a good thing with starting
things already. I'm willing to lead the team, if you think that I'm the
right person to do that. If anyone else thinks that (s)he can do it
better, please don't hesitate to mail the mailist.
I think the best thing I could do is to coordinate the project and help
a bit with coding. I can be the one responsible for managing the
Launchpad part.

We need a better overview of people willing to work on this website. If
you want to help, please mail to this list who you are and what you want
to and can do. Please also request a membership of the team. If you know
anyone that could be interested, please ask him. I'll put all people at
a list at the wiki with their area of interest.

We should start with coding as fast as possible. When we've got some
programmers we can start to give everyone a task(Shall we use blueprints
or bugs for that?).

A list of things that need to be done:
* Login module, that loads the roles the user has in accepted teams.
Someone should also have a look at the login system that is going to be
used for all Ubuntu websites.
* Theme
* Manage page for team administrators
* Display of roles
* Applications:
  1. Formal way
  2. Informal way

This is of course just for the help needed site, but -- as I said before
- -- the volunteer pool needs first some more discussion. Should this be
at  this mailist or at the mailist of the Launchpad group?

Do you think we need to have a project yet? It would be good for
managing Blueprints and later on, when we've got programmers, the
different branches that they are working on. Should it be a subproject
of ubuntu-website, or shall we make it that when it is accepted?

Regards,

- --
Sense Hofstede
<http://www.qense.nl/>