[ubuntu-web] Ubuntu Wanted Site(blueprint)

Nicolas Deschildre ndeschildre at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 6 21:55:11 BST 2008

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 8:27 PM, Mads Rosendahl <madsrh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi again
> I've done a mockup of the "help wanted" site.

Great again!

> On the front page you can also go to the "HELP OFFERED" site. I have
> NO IDEA what this site should contain.

And this is the first step we will need to do.
1/ Defining a much more refined set of requirements.
2/ Create the interface : here Mads & Brett you skills will be welcome!
3/ Start the coding: a part for you Brian!
I'll give a try on the list of requirements in another mail.

Now, since I don't want this project to die as another "let's do it"
fireworks, I took the initiative to create a Ubuntu Wanted Developers
team (https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wanted-dev), which has commit
rights over a bazaar branch
https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wanted-dev/ubuntu-wanted/devel
(project Ubuntu Wanted).
Anyone wanting to participate, please apply to this team. I'll give
the admin rights to whoever want it.
Then you should be able to use and commit on the
https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wanted-dev/ubuntu-wanted/devel
bazaar branch.

Next, I have setup an automatic installation of the branch in my
webserver here : http://ubuntu-wanted-devel.ideatorrent.org/
That means that whatever you commit in the bazaar branch will be shown
on this webserver, updated every hour!

I make the Ubuntu wanted website a Drupal 5 module. Why Drupal 5?
Because for the moment, the launchpad plugin for authentification is
not working on Drupal 6 (I'm not using it at the moment). And the
Drupal5->6 migration is quite easy.
Another argument is that this is the only Canonical security approved
CMS (if ever one day this website enter the datacenter).
The database choice is on the same lines : Postgresql is the database
used on the datacenter.

Now, to the branch organization:
artwork/ubuntu-theme/ : contains the Ubuntu theme we will use. I took
the one from Brainstorm, but it is now really clean without brainstorm
:) I'll try to find the real clean one.
module/wanted/ : contains the Drupal Wanted module.
update-db.sql : As described on the file :
-- Here put SQL commands that will be automatically executed after a
new version of the code have been downloaded.
-- Here is what you need to do.
-- 1/ Drop all possible existing tables you inserted in the last
install (generally it's a copy of uninstall commands found in
wanted.install)
-- 2/ Create all the tables you need (generally it's a copy of
commands found in wanted.install)
-- 3/ Add any sample data you find useful.

That's it. I'm hoping this will help to kickstart this project.

Cheers,

Nicolas